The definition of craft used by this encyclopedia is taken from UNESCO:
Artisanal products are those produced by artisans, either completely by hand, or with the help of hand tools or even mechanical means, as long as the direct manual contribution of the artisan remains the most substantial component of the finished product.
Their distinctive features can be:
…utilitarian, aesthetic, artistic, creative, decorative, functional, traditional, culturally symbolic and significant.
The encyclopedia entries will focus on the following types of craft:
- living crafts practiced by at least one person
- traditional crafts that are unique to the country or region
- traditional crafts that are endangered
- crafts which are particularly strong and vibrant in the country or region
- contemporary interpretations of traditional crafts